Nedra is a social marketing consultant, author and speaker who works with nonprofits and government agencies for positive health and social change using social media, transmedia storytelling and entertainment education approaches at Weinreich Communications.Want to work together or book Nedra as a speaker?
I am thankful for...Whether or not you are celebrating this holiday, having an attitude of thankfulness is a big factor in the level of happiness you will experience in your life. I, for one, am grateful to have a large number of people who care about what I have to say. Thank you for reading and for giving me your time and attention. (I will try to be more regular about posting!)
...the mess to clean up after a party
because it means I have been surrounded by friends.
...the taxes I pay
because it means that I'm employed.
...the clothes that fit a little too snug
because it means I have enough to eat.
...the child who is not cleaning his room, but is watching TV
because that means he is at home and not on the streets.
...the spot I find at the far end of the parking lot
because it means I am capable of walking.
...all the complaining I hear about our government
because it means we have freedom of speech.
...that lady behind me in synagogue who sings off key
because it means that I can hear.
...lawns that needs mowing, windows that need cleaning and gutters that need fixing because it means I have a home.
...my huge heating bill
because it means that I am warm.
...weariness and aching muscles at the end of the day
because it means that I have been productive.
...the alarm that goes off in the early morning hours
because it means that I am alive.
...Finally, for too much email
because it means that I have friends and family who are thinking of me.
You may not know this, but the Mafia has an extensive (and top secret) social marketing department. And now, after weeks of living under omertà in fear of being exposed (they thought I was just a hitman with poor aim*), I can finally reveal the Marketori Sociali Ten Commandments:
- No one can present himself directly to another of our friends. There must be a third person to do it.
- Never look at the wives of friends.
- Never be seen with cops.
- Don't go to pubs and clubs.
- Always be available for Cosa Nostra, even if your wife's about to give birth.
- Appointments must be respected.
- Wives must be treated with respect.
- When asked for any information, the answer must be the truth.
- Money cannot be appropriated if it belongs to others or to other families.
- People who can't be part of Cosa Nostra are anyone with a close relative in the police, with a two-timing relative in the family, anyone who behaves badly and doesn't hold to moral values.
Now that I've revealed these secrets, I'm going to have to lay low for a while. I'm hoping I won't find an unexpected surprise on my pillow in the morning.
- Do not only promote your product directly to your target audience. A third-party endorsement through word-of-mouth -- especially if it is a personal friend -- is much more effective.
- Never look at the wives of friends, unless they are the ones who are more influential in the family health and social behavior decisions.
- Never be seen with cops, unless you decide that the behaviors you are promoting are better addressed through policy and enforcement.
- Don't go to pubs and clubs without market research that demonstrates that those locations are the best places to reach your audience with your message.
- Always be available to create an environment in your casa that will facilitate behaviors like breastfeeding and putting baby to sleep on his back after your wife gives birth.
- Your product must be available in the right time and right place to the right people to get any respect.
- Wives must be treated with respect. The customer is not a moron - she is your wife.
- When asked for any information, the answer must be the truth. Astroturfi and marionetti di calzini are not part of the family business.
- Money cannot always be appropriated in exchange for adopting the product. Sometimes the price will be time, hassle, social disapproval or leaving old habits like offing people.
- People who can't be part of the Marketori Sociali are anyone who does not understand the audience like a close relative, who does not make an offer they can't refuse, who does not focus on how they want people to behave, or who assumes that the values of the people they are trying to reach are exactly the same as their own.
I've been told that the conferees (the House-Senate negotiators) dropped the Ryan amendment - leaving funding for CDC's Entertainment Education program intact. We're pretty excited.Yippee! She also felt that the pressure from the public health community was invaluable. So kudos to all of you who emailed, called or faxed to try to save entertainment education!
The House is scheduled to approve the bill on Tuesday with the Senate following suit later this week. Then the bill will be sent to the President. He is expected to veto the bill (unrelated to our issue) because it spends more money than he'd like. Then the House and Senate will have to start all over again on the same bill.
That said... I think we can declare victory. I don't think Rep. Ryan or Sen. Coburn will try to offer their amendments on a future Labor-HHS bill this year.
Let the blog posts come to you...Subscribe to RSS Feed